“And when these things begin to come to pass, then Look up, and lift up your
heads; for your redemption draweth nigh” (Luke 21:28)
1. There are three general classes of people on earth. I can tell the three categories by the direction of their eyes. The first group looks down on the earth. The second set looks around. The third class looks up. This classification applies to all affairs of life. In the corporate world it is known as target audience. In warfare it is battle objective. In the Christian race, It is the prescribed format for running to victory, as it is written: “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God” [Hebrews 12:2]
2. Looking down is rebellion against God. The man that looks down blames God for his shortcomings and failure. His head is down, overtaken by dark clouds of defeat, shame and sorrow. The world is full of people looking down and in anger against God, overwhelmed by terror, poverty, sickness, war, social decadence, etc. Whatever you are passing through, rebellion against God is the last thing you want to do. Before you bury your head in confusion, remember that Satan is right down there waiting for you. The Bible says: “And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life” [ Genesis 3:14] The man that looks down adds destruction to his calamity.
3. Looking down is not a solution.
Looking down is one-way route to destruction. This generation is bedeviled by multitudes running the steep slope to perdition. The economy is bad, nature is gone is crazy and a rash of unknown diseases torment the world leading many to look down and cling to alcohol, drugs, spiritism, false religion, hedonism, etc. This is the broad way, glamorous and acceptable to the doomed. It is the way of the world and the end is eternal separation from God, as it is written: “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat” [Matthew 7:13]
4. Looking around is fool’s paradise. Those who look around spend their times in fool’s paradise. They bend backwards to be religiously, socially and politically correct, glossing over canons of God’s righteousness and faith. We have them in religious leaders and flocks who justify themselves by themselves. They have best ratings with men and zero score with God. To such folks, the Bible says: “…Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God” [Luke 16:15] God is not fooled by long robes and pretentious prayers, as It is written: “For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise” [2 Corinthians 10:12]
5. Look up. Looking up is sign of submission to God Almighty and His Son Jesus Christ. I tell you, as the day goes by things are going to go from bad to worse. The economy will soon go bust. There shall be more wars and terror all over the globe. The Bible says: “And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken” [Luke 21:25-26] The hearts of men are failing and many are turning to looking down and around. I tell you Look up to Jesus
6. Look up, Jesus Christ is coming. He is coming to put an end to the groaning and suffering in the world. Those who look up to Him, like the fiery serpent in the wilderness shall be delivered from this dying world. The children of Israel were in anguish in the wilderness, bitten and tormented by snakes, and God said to Moses: “…Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live” [Numbers 21:8] Look up to Jesus Christ, accept Him as your Lord and Saviour and receive strength to do exploits, as it is written: “And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits” [Daniel 11:32]